Re: vcenter help

From: Neil Puttock
Subject: Re: vcenter help
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 18:36:02 +0100

2008/8/15 James E. Bailey <address@hidden>:

> Thanks, I think I've got a hang of it, (I was actually looking for
> \hcenter), but now I have another question. Is there any situation where
> \center-align and \hcenter are exclusive? Aside from \hcenter needing
> \column, I couldn't find any difference.

They're completely unrelated; \hcenter doesn't `need' column, it's
used to align an object to its centre *relative* to another object.

The example for \hcenter in B.8.2 uses \column as a convenience to
show the alignment relative to the arrow.

> \markup {
>  \hcenter \column {
>    { "One line of text." }
>    { "Another line of text." }
>  }
> }

This doesn't work, since \hcenter comes before \column; it has no
reference point to work with. If you swap them round, this behaves
just like \center-align.

Regards,
Neil