Re: vcenter help

From: Neil Puttock
Subject: Re: vcenter help
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 21:48:18 +0100

2008/8/15 James E. Bailey <address@hidden>:

> Am 15.08.2008 um 19:36 schrieb Neil Puttock:

>> The example for \hcenter in B.8.2 uses \column as a convenience to
>> show the alignment relative to the arrow.
>
> When I try it without the column, they aren't centered (assuming I wanted to
> superimpose to markup objects on top of each other).

Yes, I noticed this when I was preparing the examples; \right-align
also appears to be misaligned. There may be a bug somewhere.

If you want to superimpose objects, you're better off using \combine.

> And I think I've figured it out. \center-align aligns all object along the
> center axis.

It's just a column of objects, with each item centred; it doesn't make
sense to talk about a centre axis.

Renaming it to \center-column would make its behaviour much clearer.

> \hcenter aligns an objects center axis to the left axis of the
> reference point.

> \markup {
>  \column {
>    one
>    \hcenter
>    two
>    three
>  }
> }

Not necessarily; in this example, it's due to the fact that \column
left-aligns each item. If you replaced \column with \line, `two' would
be aligned to the right edge of `one', overlapping it.

> Can I suggest this (or something similar) be the example for B.8.2? It
> expresses very clearly, using terms from a previous example exactly how
> \hcenter differs from \center-align.

OK, I'll change the snippet; it's probably a good idea, since the
arrows don't show up properly in the pdf docs. :)

Thanks for the feedback,
Neil