Re: Template: String Quartet (score-only), first draft

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Template: String Quartet (score-only), first draft
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 12:51:17 -0700

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 09:58:58 -0400
Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden> wrote:

> \header
> {
>       title = "Quartett f__r 2 Violinen, Viola und Violoncell"

Oh, forgot one thing: using UTF-8 in the title means that people
whose editors (or email programs, apparently[1]) don't handle utf-8 will
see weird output, as above.

This is not necessarily a bad thing -- it might be good to force
beginners to set up their editor/environment correctly for utf-8
-- but you should bear this in mind.  If you wanted to make the
templates as easy to use as possible, the title (and if necessary
author) should be translated into plain old ascii.

Cheers,
- Graham

[1]  I'm really surprised about this -- I'm using sylpheed, which
unless I'm mistaken is mainly programmed by somebody in Japan.  I
expected it do handle utf-8 out of the box.  Or /maybe/ the problem is
vim, although I really expected vim to handle utf-8 by default.