Re: Template: String Quartet (score-only), first draft

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Template: String Quartet (score-only), first draft
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 09:44:55 +0100

Graham Percival wrote Sunday, August 17, 2008 10:49 PM
On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 21:47:28 +0100
"Neil Puttock" <address@hidden> wrote:

2008/8/17 Graham Percival <address@hidden>:

> Why manually number the bars?  It's true that users can delete
> them easily, but they should be very familiar with
> one-bar-per-line by now.  I definitely like the explicit bar
> checks, though.  :)

Does that mean I should put back all the bar checks I removed from the
snippets? ;)

No; the goal of a snippet is to show a single new feature; having
bar checks in there can confuse newbies.  That's also why I
discourage having slurs / accents / accidentals if they're not
relevant to the snippet in question.

The templates serve a different purpose, so the bar checks provide
a good reminder to newbies to add them in their own music.

I wholeheartedly endorse this.  Examples in manuals
and snippets should be minimal to make their point as
clearly as possible.  Templates and (if possible)
inspirational headlines should demonstrate good
practice.  "Good practice" may be different for the
different types of music, of course.  But hints like
numbering bars, bar checks, variables, are all good.

Cheers,
- Graham

Trevor