Re: style sheet: dynamic {espr, dolce, legato}

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: style sheet: dynamic {espr, dolce, legato}
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 02:12:56 -0700

On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 00:18:46 -0700 (PDT)
Mark Polesky <address@hidden> wrote:

> My procedure solves this, but it's still a work in
> progress, mostly because I haven't gotten around to
> address the horizontal placement issue. There's an
> exhaustive snippet (kudos to that author) on that
> very issue, I just haven't incorporated it yet.

I did my horizontal placement can be done with #:translate.  What
snippet are you thinking of?  I didn't realize there was enough
material to make an "exhaustive" study of the subject.

> Also, your procedure name is more concise! I opted
> for the lengthy "make-custom-dynamic-script" because
> I'm a stickler for sticking to a convention. I don't
> know if that's always a good thing.

I suppose I could have gone with make-dynamic-custom instead of
-extra.  But that name is really just for the style sheet; the
actual usage would just call \fespr or whatever.

> As far as scheme goes, I'm still learning. I'm
> constantly plagued by the feeling that there's a more
> elegant or concise solution, so any comments are
> certainly welcome.

I agree; I don't think the current approach is ideal.  I
definitely like the idea of detecting it automatically, though!
I'll take a longer look at it tomorrow.

The one tricky thing is the horizontal placement: for things like "mf
dolce", I wanted the "mf" aligned with the notehead.  For something
like "sub p", should the "p" be aligned with the notehead, or should
the "sub" be aligned?

Cheers,
- Graham