Re: style sheet: dynamic {espr, dolce, legato}

From: Mark Polesky
Subject: Re: style sheet: dynamic {espr, dolce, legato}
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 09:07:58 -0700 (PDT)

----- Original Message ----
From: Graham Percival <address.hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, September 23, 2008 2:12:56 AM

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.11/input/lsr/lilypond-snippets/Tweaks-and-overrides#horizontally-aligning-custom-dynamics-e.g.-sempre-pp,-piu-f,-subito-p.ly

> The one tricky thing is the horizontal placement: for things like "mf
> dolce", I wanted the "mf" aligned with the notehead.  For something
> like "sub p", should the "p" be aligned with the notehead, or should
> the "sub" be aligned?

The above-mentioned snippet argues that the dynamic should be aligned
with the notehead, not the italic-text, but intuitively that seems
wrong to me. Perhaps it depends on the specific circumstance, but I'm
thinking of something like "poco a poco piĆ¹ f". As a musician, I'd
start "poco a poco"-ing as soon as the first word starts -- I wouldn't
wait till the "f". That said, I wonder what the treatises have to say
on the topic (eg. Gardner Read etc.).

On a related topic, I recently posted this to lilypond-devel:

fetaDynamic glyphs "p" and "f" don't align the same?
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2008-09/msg00264.html

Han-Wen said the "p" bounding box is "aligned on the baseline
intersection with the stem", and the "f" isn't, but ironically the "f"
looks better to me. I propose that the center of a dynamic's bounding
box should be aligned with the center of the note-head, not left-
aligned with the stem...

Anyone interested in tackling this one?

 - Mark