Re: Review of Valentin's Opera

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: Review of Valentin's Opera
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2009 11:21:18 -0400

    Reinhold> The musicians really liked the good look of the score.

    Reinhold> The only problems appear when trying to create
    Reinhold> good-looking full scores for the conductor (part
    Reinhold> combining is unusable and vertical stretching and page
    Reinhold> layout is also quit bad). But the orchestra material
    Reinhold> with only one-staff systems can really be done in a
    Reinhold> quality superior to most commercial scores.

I agree.  I mostly use lilypond for Renaissance polyphony, where the
original performers didn't have access to scores, and I feel strongly
that modern performers can play better from parts, so that they have
to learn how their part fits with the others by ear instead of by
eye.

But having access to the score does help modern performers analyze,
and that analysis can certainly speed up rehearsals and maybe even
improve the performance.  And I do produce a score in the
process of getting the parts typeset and proofread.   And of course,
anyone who installs [the right version of] lilypond can print the
score as well as the parts.

For quite a while, I wasn't putting the score PDF's up on my site
<http://www.laymusic.org> at all, but now I've decided that the scores
Lily makes are so bad that nobody would be tempted to perform from
them if they had access to a nice part with good spacing and *a lot*
fewer page turns.  So I have recently modified my scripts so that the
score appears at the end of the parts.

--
Laura   (mailto:address@hidden http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097  233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

The dipsomaniac and the abstainer are not only both mistaken, but they
both make the same mistake: They both regard wine as a drug and not as
a drink.

G. K. Chesterton