Re: Review of Valentin's Opera

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: Review of Valentin's Opera
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2009 11:23:57 -0500

Neil Thornock wrote:

I am curious who out there is in a professional music-related position
that relies on Lilypond when Finale or Sibelius is also an option
provided by the employer.  I'm one.  Just curious who else.

Me too. I'm a music history professor and I have a school-provided copy of Finale on my school-provided iMac. I don't use it at all for new engravings, but sometimes use it to tweak an old one. It's 2006 though so it can't read anything newer than that (lack of backwards-compatibility is my single biggest gripe against Finale). I always keep a copy of the latest Finale Reader on my machines so that I can read my students' Finale files, but I don't use Finale anymore for my own engravings. I hardly even use the iMac on my desk now that I'm so comfortable with my Linux laptop. I've gotten two of my students into Lilypond this semester and they're very pleased with it. The rest of them want Finale though.

I guess this thread has gotten rat-holed a bit. :)

Jon
--
Jonathan Kulp
http://www.jonathankulp.com