Re: Real World Usage

From: Martin Tarenskeen
Subject: Re: Real World Usage
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 10:07:54 +0200

On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 06:35:33PM -0700, Paul Scott wrote:

>>      I don't get the topic.  Do you mean compete with Finale?  If you do, I
>> think you are foolish.  Leave Lilypond the way it is, with no gui-ed up
>> shlock.

> We are close to having the best both worlds.  Just as we have Unix/LInux
> which doesn't absolutely need X Windows we have Lily and we have tools
> like JEdit and LilyPondTool and others and conversion tools which allow
> people who are not comfortable with Lily as she is.

> OTOH if tools like JEdit, etc. could develop into a full GUI for those
> who need that a lot more people would be served and it would certainly
> compete with Finale.

There is a parallel with LaTeX vs. GUI wordprocessors like Word or
OpenOffice.org. These are two different worlds, but somewhere inbetween
there is LyX. I kind of like the LyX approach.

That's what I like about NoteEdit, Canorus, and NtEd. I can enter notes
and have a good overview of what I'am doing, and then export to Lilypond
for perfect engraving. But NoteEdit is not supported anymore, Canorus is
very incomplete and unfinished (but they are working on it). NtEd is not
perfect either, but works reasonably well already. You can create scores
with NtEd without Lilypond, but I would not recommend that. NtEd native
output is really ugly compared to Lilypond. I always export to Lilypond.

But until now all my serious work with Lilypond has been done using Vim
(on my EeePC) or Frescobaldi (on my normal PC.)

Sometimes I take my EeePC to my work (the Music School in Deventer) and
my collegues - who all use Sibelius - are getting more and more
interested when they see me working on a score during the coffee breaks.
Maybe I can even convince some of them to give Lilypond a try ?

--

Martin Tarenskeen