Re: Real World Usage

From: MonAmiPierrot
Subject: Re: Real World Usage
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 07:02:47 -0700 (PDT)

Bertalan Fodor (LilyPondTool) wrote:

> Well, WYSIWYM sucks by concept for one single reason. Typesetting can
> not be totally automated because of hyphenation.
> So if you change something slightly that causes reflow, there is a small
> chance that a word gets hyphenated at the wrong place.
> With WYSIWYM you should not care about this: an implicit expectation
> that it will automagically solve everything well. But that's just not
> the case.
> And the same applies for LilyPond. After the first manual tweak (you'll
> certainly need SOME) you can never be sure any more that everything will
> be fine during the development of the score.

I'm not sure what you mean with hyphenation. Hyphenation is not an issue in
TeX or any WYSISYG(M) editor, and I never had problems using it, so I can't
understan " But that's just not the case." could you give example? OTOH,
line/page breaking in music is a real issue, and in my case it's one of the
biggest sources of problems with LilyPond, although we must say breaking
algorhythm is far better than Finale's (the problem being that manual
tweaking is *much* harder).
Piero

-----
Piero Faustini, PhD student
Dipartimento di Scienze Storiche
Sezione musicologia
Università di Ferrara

Main Software used:

- LyX 1.6.1 on WinXP sp3; EndNote & JabRef
- MikTex
- LaTeX class: Koma book
- Lilypond 2.12 for example excerpts
- BibLaTeX for bibliographies