Re: Real World Usage

From: sdfgsdhdshd
Subject: Re: Real World Usage
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 01:20:05 -0700 (PDT)

craigbakalian wrote:

>       I don't get the topic.  Do you mean compete with Finale?  If you do, I
> think you are foolish.  Leave Lilypond the way it is, with no gui-ed up
> shlock.

Lilypond has features that Finale has not. But the opposite is also true.

Some time ago i tried to publish scores; therefore i was in touch with
several music publishers, in 2 or 3 european countries. As one might expect,
they have a few basic requirements on the look of the scores. Sadly,
lilypond does not meet all of them.
I replied what you read on this forum, how nice lilypond is, the incredible
number of features, better ouput than commercial softwares, ... They just
replied they don't care, as the basic requirements are not met. One of them
even added that... with Finale you meet easily these basic requirements
:rules:

I read the doc, asked in this forum for some of these requirements, and read
post from people asking for few of them; the lilypond gurus and the feature
database confirmed they were not (yet) possible.