Re: (de)cresendi syntax

From: MonAmiPierrot
Subject: Re: (de)cresendi syntax
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 01:26:14 -0700 (PDT)

...it's a dirty job but...

the italian term "crescendo" is not a noun, is a gerund (meaning "raising",
"growing"), so, when substantivated, in italian language, is indeclinable -
thus if I "amo il crescendo rossiniano", I still "amo tutti i crescendo
rossiniani" (if you find an italian who says "crescendi", you have the
license to kill him). In an english context, the plural is simple:
"crescendoes".
If the english language respected italian (and french and spanish and
german...) language as it does with latin, I did not have to bother you!!!
But thanks for the try!
bye
Piero

-----
Piero Faustini, PhD student
Dipartimento di Scienze Storiche
Sezione musicologia
Università di Ferrara

Main Software used:

- LyX 1.6.1 on WinXP sp3; EndNote & JabRef
- MikTex
- LaTeX class: Koma book
- Lilypond 2.12 for example excerpts
- BibLaTeX for bibliographies