Re: new website: draft 2.1, panic over "community"

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: new website: draft 2.1, panic over "community"
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 11:20:40 +0200

Op donderdag 25-06-2009 om 01:53 uur [tijdzone -0700], schreef Graham
Percival:

> I'm stuck.
> http://percival-music.ca/blogfiles/out/lilypond-general_1.html
>
> The "community" was buried in About->community, which was too hard
> to find.  However, when I promote it to a top-level chapter, that
> gives us seven chapters.  This feels like too much.

Yes, 5 or six maximum, I think.  What if you prioritize and see
what falls off?

    * Introduction
    * Download
    * Documentation
    * Development
    * About

I do like Manuals instead of Documentation.  Do we need "Home"?
What do other sites do.

Important are: Download, Introduction, Community, Manuals.

Possibly interesting is About.  Development really should
be inside community.

Manuals and Community could be combined into Support/Help.
Possibly we could keep Community and move Manuals [and about]
there.  If we only have

   Introduction | Download | Community

where would you go for manuals/help?  Maybe we could get away
with this ;-)

Hmm, we could also make the download page easier, just
advertise one version and have a small link to "development versions"
page.  What about a little java script to suggest a download link
on the front page, matching the OS that is used to browse the page?

Apropos community/help/support; I feel we do not need to advertise
lilypond-devel so much, possibly not even info-lilypond?  Not
sure about bug-lilypond, do we want (or ever get any sane) bugs from
people who are not on -user or -devel,

It would be nice to have "subscribe to lilypond-user"/live chat
buttons and so de-clutter/split/easify contact.itexi

Oh, I think we should keep the search box, and have it on every
page, possibly top right under menu?

Jan.

AvatarĀ®: http://AvatarAcademy.nl    | http://lilypond.org