new website: draft 2.5, resolved

From: Graham Percival
Subject: new website: draft 2.5, resolved
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 03:50:34 -0700

ok, panic resolved:
http://percival-music.ca/blogfiles/out/lilypond-general_1.html

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 11:20:40AM +0200, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
> Yes, 5 or six maximum, I think.  What if you prioritize and see
> what falls off?

Mao.  I forgot the most important rule of design: perfection is
achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is
nothing left to remove.

> I do like Manuals instead of Documentation.  Do we need "Home"?
> What do other sites do.

Apple has a "home" (icon).  Now that said, we might want to dump
an icon in the top-left corner, and start the two TOC bars after
the image.  Also, that wouldn't use as much horizontal space as
the _Home_ button.  (not that we're cramped for space any more)

> Manuals and Community could be combined into Support/Help.
> Possibly we could keep Community and move Manuals [and about]
> there.  If we only have
>
>    Introduction | Download | Community
>
> where would you go for manuals/help?  Maybe we could get away
> with this ;-)

Nah; I definitely wouldn't look in "community" for the NR.

> Hmm, we could also make the download page easier, just advertise
> one version and have a small link to "development versions"
> page.

Already done.

> What about a little java script to suggest a download link on
> the front page, matching the OS that is used to browse the page?

That's quite possible.

> Apropos community/help/support; I feel we do not need to advertise
> lilypond-devel so much, possibly not even info-lilypond?  Not
> sure about bug-lilypond, do we want (or ever get any sane) bugs from
> people who are not on -user or -devel,

Good points about -devel and bug-.  IMO if we don't advertize
info-lilypond, we should junk that list.  :)
... I'm not arguing that we /shouldn't/ get rid of info.  The
current webpage supports RSS, so if we dump the news items into
RSS, then people could get their instant notifications that way.

> It would be nice to have "subscribe to lilypond-user"/live chat
> buttons and so de-clutter/split/easify contact.itexi

Yeah.

> Oh, I think we should keep the search box, and have it on every
> page, possibly top right under menu?

We have a search box on the website?!  :o_O

Wow, so we do.  A user for 8 years, and I had no idea... anyway,
we should definitely do that.  Hmm... if we go with an
icon-home-button, then we might even have enough horizontal space
to put it in the top-right of the menu itself.

Cheers,
- Graham