Re: new website: draft 2.5, resolved

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: new website: draft 2.5, resolved
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 18:36:05 +0200

Le jeudi 25 juin 2009 à 03:50 -0700, Graham Percival a écrit :
> Good points about -devel and bug-.  IMO if we don't advertize
> info-lilypond, we should junk that list.  :)

I guess the email medium is preferred, or at least more used, by some
people than RSS, and this puts very little overhead on the release
announcer.  Speaking of, I don't claim that announcing releases should
be exclusively done by the release meister, but have you realized that
last release news item is three months old and is going to disappear
from the list on the home page?  Even if I don't know how reliably I'll
be connected to the internet in July and August (this means, I'm not
sure to have more than 1 hour of free connection time every day, but I
won't be completely offline for more than four consecutive days), I
consider volunteering again to write news items, giving more credit to
the huge work done on GUB than I previously did, starting from next
Tuesday.

> ... I'm not arguing that we /shouldn't/ get rid of info.  The
> current webpage supports RSS, so if we dump the news items into
> RSS, then people could get their instant notifications that way.

They can normally already do, but there are buglets in XML formatting of
our RSS feed that prevent Firefox from displaying it, see

http://feedvalidator.org/check.cgi?url=http%3A%2F%2Flilypond.org%2Fweb%
2Flilypond-rss-feed.xml

We were reported errors with Firefox months ago, but I didn't think
about using a validator at that time, so overlooked the errors by lack
of XML/XHTML knoweledge.

Best,
John