Re: virtualization software for OSX

From: James Bailey
Subject: Re: virtualization software for OSX
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 18:08:59 +0100

On Dec 7, 2010, at 5:35 PM, Valentin Villenave wrote:

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 1:39 PM, Graham Percival
<address@hidden> wrote:
On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 12:13 PM, Valentin Villenave
<address@hidden> wrote:
In my opinion, the absolute ideal alternative is to use Wubi (it would
work great with LilyBuntu, btw):

Does it work on OSX?

Touché. It does not, since Linux doesn't adequately supports OSX's filesystem.

That being said, Mac OSX has native support for bash, git, and even
the whole GNU toolchain via Fink/Macports. So I guess LilyBuntu is
primarily aimed at Windows users (at least, I haven't heard of any
contributor who might be running lilybuntu under OSX, but I'm waiting
to be proved wrong).

I didn't bother reading the bits on lilybuntu in the contributor's guide, otherwise I might have downloaded the virtualization tool and used it rather than fighting for months to be able to compile lilypond and the documentation on my OSX. While possible on OSX, it's far from easy, and even further from as easy as using virtualbox and lilybuntu. As an OSX user who has limited knowledge/experience in linux things, I think suggesting a macintosh user to install something like the macports version of lilypond (which exists) is a bit much, since it has as dependencies things like xorg's X11 (which is in addition to the XFree86 version one needs in order to install the xorg X11) ghostscript, cairo, xrender, pango as well as dbus and others, of course.

The point is, using macports to install all of the dependencies to lilypond is probably possible. But the macports system requires the user to install tons of unnecessary software (who really needs x.org's X11 and XFree86's X11), or the full X11 implementation of ghostscript if all you want to do is edit a few files for documentation?

All in all, I think that vmware is probably the easiest solution to be able to offer someone who wants to contribute who is not using linux and who doesn't have the savvy (or desire) to figure out how to compile lilypond on their own.