Re: virtualization software for windows

From: James
Subject: Re: virtualization software for windows
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2010 17:11:32 +0000

On 07/12/2010 16:35, Valentin Villenave wrote:
So I guess LilyBuntu is
primarily aimed at Windows users (at least, I haven't heard of any
contributor who might be running lilybuntu under OSX, but I'm waiting
to be proved wrong).

:)

Me.

I use VirtualBOX with LilyBuntu on OSX at home all the time and Virtual BOX on Windows while in the office.

Virtualbox is really smooth on OSX, it's lightweight and zippy enough, and to be honest until it stops working with OSX I'll stick with version 3.latest and avoid going to 4.x if it really does remove stuff. However reading the blurb that was sent earlier, I barely use most of the 'extras' anyway, I just need a VM with Linux on it. USB support? PAH! I'll just used the shared folder (vboxmount) and pass it to the Host Desktop and copy anything I need there.

I did use VMware Fusion (VMware's desktop Virtuazliation for OSX) until they bloated wit with v3.x, it's a commercial product but worked well until Snow Leopard.

I suppose OSX users have 'boot camp' but I simply cannot be bothered to re-partition my hard disk, and parallels (another OSX Commercial Virtual Platform) will work too.

I'm always open to new stuff but am getting less and less inclined 'just for the sake of it' as I get older.

So I'd recommend Virtual Box for OSX and see what happens when they go to v4.x, if they release it anyway for free but charge for modules, you may not need them anyway. I guess the killer would be to remove the Network interface between the Host and the Guest. That WOULD be a show stopper.

James