Re: dynamics (and hairpins) attached to rests vs dynamics attached to no

From: Tiresia GIUNO
Subject: Re: dynamics (and hairpins) attached to rests vs dynamics attached to notes
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 22:15:32 +0200

On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 18:55:34 +0200
Xavier Scheuer <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 16 August 2012 14:59, Tiresia GIUNO <address@hidden>
> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I noticed that in LP 2.14.2, dynamics and hairpins attached to rests
> > (r or s) are slightly out of alignment when compared to dynamics and
> > hairpins attached to notes.
>
> Could you check with latest development version?
>
> Several issues concerning DynamicText(Spanner)/Hairpin alignment,
> especially when attached to (spacer) rests, have been corrected
> after 2.14.  Namely issues 620, 1194, 1724, 1861, 2532.
>
> I suspect the output should be good now but I cannot check myself now
> because I'm not currently using my own computer (with latest
> LilyPond).
>
> Cheers,
> Xavier

Dear Xavier Scheuer,

thanks a lot for your answer.

Attached you find the two examples of my first email, both generated
with LP 2.14 and with LP 2.15.

The first example has on the first staff hairpins and dynamics
attached to notes and on the second staff hairpins and dynamics
attached to RESTS.

The second example has again on the first staff hairpins and dynamics
attached to notes and on the second staff hairpins and dynamics
attached to hidden rests (SPACER RESTS).

As you can see, there is no difference between the outputs produced by
the two different LP versions.

Crescendo and Decrescendo Hairpins, when attached to rests, start later
then when attached to notes (and dynamics (pppp) is misplaced). This
does not happen when attached to spacer rests. On the other hand,
Decrescendo Hairpins end later when attached to spacer rests.

It could sound picky, but I'm working on an orchestral score where this
problem can lead to unpleasant result - see the first page of it with
only flutes and clarinets (also this with 2.14 and 2.15).

But whit LP 2.15 the result of my score is quite better, because
CRESCENDO Hairpins start at the right point. The problem is still
present at the end of DECRESCENDO Hairpins. It seems to me that they
should end _before_ the rest, not _on_ the rest.

I can send you the code, if you need.

Thanks a lot,
TG