Re: [for Italian users] how to translate "spanner"?

From: martinwguy
Subject: Re: [for Italian users] how to translate "spanner"?
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 16:17:20 +0200

On 24 August 2012 15:53, Phil Holmes <address@hidden> wrote:
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "martinwguy" <address@hidden>
>>  If someone can point me at a "volta spanner" I'll show it to an
>> Italian typographer or musician and ask "what's this called?"
>
> Typographically, the thing on the page is referred to (in English) as a
> bracket by Gould.  So going for an Italian version of this would end us up
> with the item on the page, rather than the computing item that describes
> where to put the bracket on the page.

Right. Thanks for the clarification. In fact, "volta spanner" is a
term only used in lilypond (says google).
I guess the at means that we should think who the message is directed
at - Italian users of lilypond - and invent a term for that construct
that invisibly embraces a bracket.

Although Italian is full of anglicisms ("link", "mouse" and "email"
are the correct terms), "spanner" is unfortunate because confused
italian user looking it up in a dictionary will get the ==[ type of
spanner, a complete misnomer, unless we want to invent that as a
technical term and let their confusion be the clue that there is a new
concept here, nothing to do with wrenches.

On 24 August 2012 16:07, David Rogers <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 13:03:24 +0100 "Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> A spanner implies bridging between two equivalent end points.
>> An extender would imply something already exists and is just made
>> longer. A direction is often implied - the road was extended from A
>> to B.
>
> Therefore, in the musical situation, both senses are correct and/or
> useful - depending on whether you look at the indication that is
> extended, or the music that it spans.

In that case I suggest "ponte", which is a literal bridge over a
river, a metaphorical something that joins two things by linking them,
and also can be used be a temporary support for something that you are
constructing (though "ponteggio would be the more precise term for
this specific last meaning).