Re: [for Italian users] how to translate "spanner"?

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: [for Italian users] how to translate "spanner"?
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 15:33:24 +0200

Il 27/08/2012 15:06, Han-Wen Nienhuys ha scritto:
On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 2:05 PM, Federico Bruni<address@hidden>  wrote:
Dear italian users,

do you have any good idea about how to translate "spanner"?
I had this doubt in the past, see end of this page:
http://lists.linux.it/pipermail/tp/2011-February/021547.html

stepping back for a bit: why do you want to translate this at all? It
is a lilypond specific term, so whatever word you pick , you have to
explain it to the user anyway. You might as well leave it in its
original state and stop agonizing over it.

I'm about to send the updated po file to the translationproject robot.
I've not translated yet the documentation parts where spanners are explained. So if an italian user sees an output message about "estensore", he won't understand what it is. So I'll leave it untranslated until I've translated the relevant parts of NR and the term has entered in the italian user's vocabulary.

In general, a translator should try to translate as much as possible. At least this is what I've learned from other italian translators. I think it's also a kind of cultural matter: in North Europe you are more used to english words and language, while in Italy, France and Spain it's different (for example, we overdub any foreign movie).

--
Federico