Re: Automated custom clef settings for custom staves

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: Automated custom clef settings for custom staves
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2013 12:00:59 -0800 (PST)

dak wrote
> Paul Morris <

> paul@

> > writes:
>
>> Ideally the way to handle this *very* *very* marginal issue, would be
>> to have the default settings for middleCPosition and clefPosition for
>> each kind of clef, loaded at the staff level for each staff (as staff
>> context properties?) where the user could override them for any given
>> staff and clef.
>>
>> And... I think the phrase for that is "patches welcome" ?
>
> Unlikely.  That sounds like a whole awful mess without any apparent
> advantage.  If you want a differently located clef, define it with
> another name rather than have particular staves messing with clef
> positions.
>
> "Patches welcome" is more for stuff that appears useful but is not
> currently a goal for anybody.  Stuff that is likely to get
> accepted/appreciated when a patch is actually presented.  So far I have
> seen nothing suggesting that this would be the case here.

Ok, good to have your feedback, and I can accept this assessment.  There are
surely "bigger fish to fry" in terms of LilyPond development and benefit for
users.

Just for the record though, for me the ideal or goal would be to be able to
put the same music (in standard LilyPond syntax) including any clefs or clef
changes, into either a custom staff or standard staff, and get the output
you'd want for each.  That separates content from presentation and LilyPond
does a great job with this in almost all cases I've come across.  Clefs are
the rare exception.

Currently you have to make changes in the music (the content) for custom
clefs to work, whether that's defining a new clef with a non-standard name,
or manually setting the middleCPosition and clefPosition with each clef
change, optionally using tags to be able to strip out the custom parts in
order to use the music with a standard staff.

The custom "clef" music function at the top of this thread makes this
separation of content and presentation possible when it comes to clefs.  But
it does require that you use only one type of staff in any given file.  So
that's quite good, at any rate, for such marginal use cases as these.

Thanks,
-Paul