Re: "Generative music" and "Algorithmic composition"

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: "Generative music" and "Algorithmic composition"
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 17:03:04 +0100

Philip Rhoades <address@hidden> writes:

> David,
>>
>>> - I probably should have posted the code, then it would have been
>>> clear straight away - but it wasn't a copy and paste problem.
>>
>> So why then did you _first_ state that Paul's version did not work,
>> including a quote of _Paul's_ version rather than the LSR?
>>
>> _That's_ when I stated I considered this likely a copy&paste error.
>> And
>> it apparently was.  Either you did not properly copy&paste Paul's
>> version when trying it out, or you did not properly copy&paste the
>> resulting error message when trying (without telling anybody) the LSR
>> version.
>

> This is getting silly - I will explain what happened:
>
> - I had previously run your new snippet quite satisfactorily
>
> - I had previously run Paul's changed version quite satisfactorily
>
> - I had forgotten about the convert-ly thing
>
> - I wasn't going to bother about the old version in the LSR when Paul
> mentioned it, but just out of interest, I thought I would give it go -
> it failed with the error - I don't like things not working so I
> persisted
>
> - The quick inspection showed the old version with a "#" and the new
> versions with "$" - so I changed it and tried again - still the same
> error
>
> - Probably hastily, I reported the error

And you reported it as an error in Paul's version even though you
previously _did_ run Paul's version successfully.  Your "quick
inspection" obviously _failed_ to turn up _all_ of the differences
between Paul's version and the LSR so you tested something different.
That's what one calls a "copy and paste" error: failure to actually test
the claimed code by testing something different through oversight.

> - You said it was probably a cut and paste problem - I knew it wasn't
> but I tried different methods of getting the code but still got the
> error
>
> - Still missing the real issue (and probably annoyed that you
> suggested it was a newbie "who doesn't know how to cut an paste"
> problem) I replied (too hastily again) that it wasn't a cut and paste
> problem
>
> - You said it must be some problem so I did the diffs - which finally
> showed up the problem with the missing entire line and it's associated
> bracket

Copy and paste error.  The failure to actually test what was quoted is