Re: short Musikmesse minutes

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: short Musikmesse minutes
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 19:18:52 -0400

Hi Urs,

>> Time for a Lilypond Publishing House...
> I'd say rather push LilyPond into the existing publishing houses.

Why not both?

> And I think changes have never been better for that than now.

True.

In my opinion, here — in order of importance — are the things we need to make
established houses sit up and take notice:

1. Flawless MusicXML import and export.
2. Better “pixel-level” control of objects.
3. A finely-tuned stylesheet system.
4. Excellent, “turnkey" edition control features.
5. Several examples of fairly complex engravings, presented with “best
practice” coding.

#4 is nearly in place, thanks to Jan-Peter.

#3 would take, in my estimation, about 10 person-hours to prepare an exemplar
set of stylesheets (I’d be happy to do this myself), and 5-10 hours to create
an appropriate stylesheet-loading function.

#5 could be put together in “no time”.

#2 would require some fundamental changes to Lilypond — likely this is the
largest hurdle.

#1 is the next largest hurdle.

Thoughts?

Kieren.