Re: short Musikmesse minutes

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: short Musikmesse minutes
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 08:46:06 +0100

Am 20.03.2014 08:35, schrieb Johan Vromans:
SoundsFromSound <address@hidden> writes:

Urs Liska wrote
1. Flawless MusicXML import and export.

#1 is the next largest hurdle.

Yes, and a crucial one. But I think current development is very
promising. For the first time someone is actually working on it.
Although it is only a first step this is really a solid foundation.
(Although only visible when using Frescobaldi from its Git repository.

I use musescore for MusicXML -> LilyPond conversion. It does a much
better job than any other tool I know (including musicxml2ly).

Musescore is open source software, why not [try to] use their importer?

Maybe it's time to create a "task force".
On the LilyPond side there are currently two options:
- built-in musicxml2ly
- the improved version of philomelos.net
  which hasn't been backported yet
And perhaps there is some big potential in the work Peter Bjuhr is currently doing for ly2musicxml inside Frescobaldi. Frescobaldi's new ly.music module may be a great help with its LilyPond score DOM approach that is (AFAIK) already capable of writing a .ly file from its internal representation.

Urs

-- Johan