Re: Four Bars per Line/System, again :)

From: Michael Hendry
Subject: Re: Four Bars per Line/System, again :)
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2015 09:38:05 -0700 (MST)

On 25 Jan 2015, at 15:15, tisimst [via Lilypond] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Michael,

On Sun, Jan 25, 2015 at 7:49 AM, Michael Hendry [via Lilypond] <<a href="" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external" class="">[hidden email]> wrote:
Experimenting with custom-line-breaks-engraver, I've found that it doesn't work correctly if the number of bars to be printed per line exceeds 9, e.g.       \consists #(custom-line-breaks-engraver '(10))

A 37 bar song comes out with 10, 10, 5, 5 and 7 bars per line, instead of the expected 10, 10, 10 and 7.

Specifying (10 10 10 7) doesn't work either.

This isn't a real problem for me, as I usually use 4 bars to the line for lead sheets (or 8 bars to the line if the notation is sparse and the song is long).

I don't have any knowledge of Scheme to correct such a brilliantly useful piece of work - it's going to save me hours of time messing about with \noBreak and \break commands!

I can't say I've used the custom-line-breaks-engraver, but whenever I need to engrave something particularly tight, I like to use the following two overrides:

\layout {
  \override Score.NonMusicalPaperColumn.line-break-permission = ##f
  \override Score.NonMusicalPaperColumn.page-break-permission = ##f
}

These force LilyPond to break only when YOU tell it to, via \break and \page Break. You may not need the page-break one.

HTH,
Abraham

http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/Four-Bars-per-Line-System-again-tp45952p170972.html
To unsubscribe from Four Bars per Line/System, again :), click here.
NAML

Thanks, Abraham.

I’ll keep these layout overrides in my stock of “will-be-useful” stuff!

The attraction of custom-line-breaks-engraver for me is that I can enter the various parts of a song as variables and once I’ve ironed out any errors I can leave them alone, perhaps even store them as separate files.

This modular structure allows me to separate the production of various printed versions from the entry of the music itself, and means proof-reading of the notes (as opposed to the layout) only has to be done once.

I mostly play jazz from leadsheets, but I also help out with accompaniments for Christmas carols and Burns Suppers where the ability to print out copies in different keys is handy, and a single sheet with melody, chords and lyrics is ideal.

Michael