Re: Four Bars per Line/System, again :)

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: Four Bars per Line/System, again :)
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2015 13:33:06 -0600

Hi Michael,

On Sun, Jan 25, 2015 at 1:00 PM, Michael Hendry <address@hidden> wrote:
Of course - I should have spotted that!

Interesting, though that with the override commented out I can get 9 bars
per line, but if I exceed that by one I get 10, 10, 5, 5, 7, and the lines
with 5 bars in them are sparsely filled - they could easily be 8 or 9.

This would be an issue of LilyPond's aesthetic decisions, rather than anything to do with the engraver.  You might try fooling around with altering the horizontal spacing and seeing how this affects the result.  You can specify more packed spacing, and that might enable you to get the result you're looking for without the override in the snippet. There's another snippet on openlilylib which facilitates this: https://github.com/openlilylib/openlilylib/tree/master/notation-snippets/adjust-horizontal-spacing

Many thanks - I missed the RTFM instruction...

No problem :)