Re: \dim and avoid-slur

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: \dim and avoid-slur
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2015 15:04:02 +0200

Am 14.06.2015 um 12:19 schrieb Trevor Daniels:
David Kastrup wrote Sunday, June 14, 2015 10:05 AM
"Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> writes:
Simon, you wrote Sunday, June 14, 2015 12:20 AM
And I just noticed that, with outside-staff-priority being
unset for both (or rather, all three), avoid-slur doesn’t have the
desired effect, they will just collide (see attachment). But that would
be a different issue.
> Not really different.  This is because dynamics and dynamic spanners
are not articulations.  "avoid-slur" works only with articulations.
Would it be a reasonable expectation to have it work with dynamics as
well?
Only if it also worked with dynamic spanners.  If it worked with articulations
and dynamics but not with dynamic spanners I think the confusion would
be just as great.
So it would be most consistent to have it work with all three. But then it should ideally intelligently handle dynamic text spanners (and text spanners. and trill spanners?) so the slur may intersect the spanner in the gaps (but not intersect trill spanners…) – sounds very complicated. Or the slur might just ignore the ‘span’ part and avoid only the bound-items of the spanner, perhaps giving a warning with TrillSpanner? I sometimes feel a little silly about formulating such requirements without being able to contribute in meeting them. I hope it’s useful nevertheless?

Yours, Simon