Re: Kneed beams and changes of staff

From: Gilberto Agostinho
Subject: Re: Kneed beams and changes of staff
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2015 08:16:30 -0700 (MST)

Hi Kieren,

Kieren MacMillan wrote
> There are almost certainly other [more automagic] ways…
> But have you looked at stemLeftBeamCount and stemRightBeamCount?

I have looked at them, but unfortunately I would need one of those
automagical ways (I am dealing with algorithmic music and I manually
tweaking isn't an option for me).

What surprises me about the default look is how confusing it actually is! At
a glance it's very difficult to tell how many beams a note actually have. On
top of that, I also never seen that kind of notation before, to be frank.

Below is a one more example of a complex kneed beam division. Note how the
main beam (in this case the bottom one, as the first note has a stem down)
is always in the bottom of the group:

<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n184345/lily2.jpg>