RE: Kneed beams and changes of staff

From: Gilberto Agostinho
Subject: RE: Kneed beams and changes of staff
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2015 06:33:04 -0700 (MST)

Hi all,

I got Elaine Gould's /Behind Bars/ from my library today and this is what
she has to say about this issue here (pp. 316--317):

<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n184472/Gould-p-316.jpg>

<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n184472/Gould-p-317.jpg>

I think the key is her comment: "[w]hen groups combine both of the above,
it's best to keep all additional beams on the same side of the main beam
[...]".

And this is a comparison of what LilyPond outputs with one of her examples
(from p. 317 above):

<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n184472/lily.jpg>

So basically what is happening is that we don't have a main beam in
LilyPond, as it shifts up and down.

For instance, the code below outputs a staircase:

\version "2.19.32"
\autochange {
  c'''64[ c c32
  \repeat unfold 6 {c'''64 c c32}
  c'''64 c c32]
}

<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n184472/00.png>

I think it's quite clear now that this is an "ugly" type of bug. I will