Re: Help with unexpexted double barline trouble and \markup

From: Chris Yate
Subject: Re: Help with unexpexted double barline trouble and \markup
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2016 14:32:55 +0000

On 15 January 2016 at 07:07, Carl-Henrik Buschmann <address@hidden> wrote:
I'm working on a lead sheet but being a novice i'm hitting my head against the wall at some noob problems.

Bar 1)
Stemlets. Do it have to be this hard creating them? Is there a way to make it global? Also, i want the stemlet to reach down towards the rest. How?
How do i make custom rehersal marks?
When using \markup { ... } the whole score looses it layout and to add insult it does not display any text. I must have done something wrong.

1) Stemlets: why do you want to write them like this? Normal quavers are fine

2) use \mark "A", not \markup "A"

Bar 8)
Why does the double barline not exend equaly through both staffs?

You've made the lower staff smaller with   \magnifyStaff #5/7, so its barline will be a different size too.  I've had this with instrumentname recently (answered on here, it's by design)

Bar 37)
Why does it not show a double bar line?

I think that's because there's a double bar in the Volta section following, but I'll concede that's unexpected.

And finally: I feel my score is a mess. How can i clean up/simplify my input?

I'd split it into separate files, and pull them together in a master .ly file using the
    /include "music.ily"
command.

I also think barlines on separate lines helps.

So rather than

a4 b c d |
e f g a |

instead

a4 b c d

e f g a

You can also label bar numbers with comments:

a4 b c d
| %1
e f g a
| %2

but this gets tiresome after a while.

Also, inputing this takes alot of time considering how long use on inputing this in Sibelius (added as pfd). What can i do to speed this up? Help and encouragement is much obliged.

Well, you need to get fast at your keyboard skills and touch-typing! I think Lilypond is much faster than manual entry in Sibelius -- using a MIDI keyboard may be faster but it's also more prone to errors if you're trying quantized direct music entry.

Chris