Re: Help with unexpexted double barline trouble and \markup

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Help with unexpexted double barline trouble and \markup
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2016 22:28:42 +0100

> Hi Carl-Henrik,

>> Bar 8)
>> Why does the double barline not exend equaly through both staffs?
>
> That looks like a bug to me: all SpanBars should [IMO] be printed at the
> largest applicable size.

Well, then it's by design, because `magnifyStaff' affects
BarLine.kern/segno-kern/hair-thickness/thick-thickness explicitely.
This is desireable for standalone staves, ofc

In this light we should do a fix as you suggested: "all [Bars and]
SpanBars should be printed at the largest applicable size", not sure
where/how to fix it, though.
Or we shouldn't point users in the NR to use it in a score with
different sizes at all (only for ossia-examples) and/or add a remark
about "known issues", maybe with the first workaround below.

Two workarounds:
(1)
Set your own BarLine.kern:

m = { c'1 \bar "||" }

\score {
  \new StaffGroup
  <<
    \new Staff \with {
          \magnifyStaffs #7/4
          \override BarLine.kern = #3
    }
      \m
    \new Staff \with {
          \magnifyStaffs #1
          \override BarLine.kern = #3
    }
      \m
    \new Staff \with {
          \magnifyStaffs #4/7
          \override BarLine.kern = #3
    }
      \m

}

(2)
Use `staffSize' from
http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=862
instead:

staffSize = #(define-music-function (parser location new-size) (number?)
  #{
    \set fontSize = #new-size
    \override StaffSymbol.staff-space = #(magstep new-size)
    \override StaffSymbol.thickness = #(magstep new-size)
  #})

m = { c'1 \bar "||" }

\new StaffGroup
<<