Re: AutoBeam Behaving Properly?

From: Martin Neubauer
Subject: Re: AutoBeam Behaving Properly?
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2016 12:49:05 +0200

On 6 April 2016 at 09:10, Thomas Scharkowski <address@hidden> wrote:
>From the Notation Reference:
"In engraving from the Romantic and Classical periods, beams often begin midway through the measure in 3/4 time, but modern practice is to avoid the false impression of 6/8 time (see Gould, p. 153)."

Shouldn't ##f be the default?
As I mentioned before, I find that justification a bit strange. (Call me old-fashioned, but I believe that musical education can go a long way...) But besides that, in the cases where it really does matter (as in Kieren's example), such a "mechanical" approach just isn't the solution. Secondly, when I explored the effect of that setting, I wasn't sure the outcome is really that desirable:
\relative c' {
  \time 3/4
  \set Timing.beamHalfMeasure = ##f
  r8 r r c c c
  r r c c c r
 r c c c r r
 c c c r r r
 r r c c c c
 r c c c c r
 r c c c c c
}
I left out some permutations, but maybe it's clear enough why the outcome seems a bit inconsistent to me.

--
homme, ni présence