Re: AutoBeam Behaving Properly?

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: AutoBeam Behaving Properly?
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2016 10:58:16 +0200

On 08.04.2016 02:42, Mark Stephen Mrotek wrote:
May I be so bold as to inquire, how does the beaming "clearly indicate"
nothing more than distribution of notes between hands?

1) It makes a lot of sense to play it that way
2) It was very common to indicate distribution of notes between hands through beaming and stem direction in this kind of fast runs, see e.g. the B flat major Prelude from WTC I.
3) I didn’t say it wouldn’t influence stressing and articulation.

I also present the final measure of the Gigue of the French Suite VI in
which all of the notes are ascribed to the right hand yet the structure is
three groups of four against two groups of three.

What kind of edition do you have? My Henle Urtext edition has them beamed six and six, just like in the other bars. And that’s perfectly compliant to baroque usage, to not indicate motifs or stress (other than general measure structure) via beaming.

To dismiss the possibility of a hemiola might deny some of Bach's
playfulness.

As I said: your first example definitely is not a hemiola.

Yours, Simon