Re: tweaks don't apply to post-function grob

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: tweaks don't apply to post-function grob
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2017 07:39:06 -0400

Hi David,

> The tweak applies fine but self-alignment-X is consulted in the normal
> callback for X-offset which has been replaced by a callback using the
> formula (- 1 (/ width 2)) .  If you want self-alignment-X to be heeded
> in there in some manner, you need to incorporate it in the callback for
> the offset.

Thanks for the explanation.

The problem is, I want to eat my cake and have it too: I want a function (cf.
\dynText) which combines a dynamic text with a piece of normal text and
automatically sets the correct alignment (i.e., with the dynamic portion
aligned as if there were no subsequent normal text), but I want to be able to
manually tweak it afterwards (to avoid collisions, improve score aesthetics,
etc.). Unfortunately, that "layout-time" tweak — which may be different for
different "editions" — cannot be cooked into the function without (e.g.)
tagging or similar content-presentation mixing, which I'd desperately like to
avoid.

Can \dynText or similar be fashioned in such a way that leaves open the
possibility of [effectively] tweaking the grob later in the process?

Thanks,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info