Re: First steps in Lilypond

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: First steps in Lilypond
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2018 11:25:24 +0200

foxfanfare <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi everybody,
>
> Instead of spoiling the thread about  OpenLilyLib
> <http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/OpenLilyLib-with-Windows-td208760.html>
>
> I started to ask some questions, I thought better to start a separate thread
> in order to ask some of my newbie questions!
>
> I started working on LilyPond last week and I find this software really
> interesting, though quite difficult to learn for a start! So, my project
> right now is to copy a difficult piano score I made earlier in Sibelius
> which would help me to learn this software. I will decide then if I
> definitely keep it or if I buy Dorico!

To quote lyrics from a famous song: "if you can make it there, you can
make it anywhere".  To wit: mapping primordial piano music with its
loose relation of notes and ad-hoc voices and connecting articulation to
LilyPond's concepts is pretty much the worst-case of complex music you
can deal with.  Orchestral/choral/symphonic music is comparatively
straightforward in contrast, and even the nominal superset of organ
music tends to be simpler in practice because it tends to be more
rigidly mapped to voiced music rather than serving as a tool for
texturing sound.

--
David Kastrup