Re: First steps in Lilypond

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Re: First steps in Lilypond
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2018 22:44:15 +1000

Hi foxfanfare,

On 6 April 2018 at 20:51, foxfanfare <address@hidden> wrote:

BTW, does anyone have the answer to my question about this slur problem :
http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/t5604/Brahms03.png

For this, the convention is to post what is known as a Minimal Working Example (MWE). Then people are willing to help out because they don't have to recreate a complex part of a score from scratch. So reduce this to one slurred example, and post the code, eliminating everything that is unnecessary to make the point under discussion. Also, giving an MWE means that people can post code as an answer, not just a verbal description.

There is a \shape function in lilypond. But there is a much more capable function called \shapeII in the openlilylib library, which is a collection of code that is useful and powerful but for one reason or another has not been incorporated into the baseline lilypond code.

Investigate the github repository:

https://github.com/openlilylib/snippets

Openlilylib is one demonstration of the ability to extend and enhance lilypond, and I find it indispensable.

And don't forget the Lilypond Snippet Repository, a collection of ways of doing things that are not immediately obvious. Idioms, if you like.

http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Search

And lastly, don't forget you can search the mailing list user archives:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/

Hope this helps. Sorry if some of this is a repetition of other posts.

Andrew