Re: Corrected: Beaming in LilyPond

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Corrected: Beaming in LilyPond
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2018 10:46:37 +0200

> Hello all,
>

> I am a new user of LilyPond and so far have found it to be a great tool. It
> is relatively easy to learn (at least the basics), free and extensive.
>

> May I suggest an added feature: An option to stack additional note beams for
> shorter note values on the opposite side of the first beam, that is, stacking
> up (or down) away from, instead of toward, the note head.
>

> I ran into this problem when transcribing Bach's double violin concerto using
> LilyPond.
>

> This is the bar (31) in the manuscript:
>

> Specifically the issue is with the 2nd and 3rd (c & d) notes into the bar:
>

> Attempting the usual stem direction changes and manual beaming results in
> this:
>

> The 16th note beam collides with the c and d note heads!
>

> I have not found how to correct this. However, a feature that would simply
> allow that the diminutive note value beams stack down away from the note head
> would fix this very neatly. To further demonstrate: I will change the 16th
> notes in the bar to 32nd notes:
>

> For every halving of the note value an additional beam is stacked up going up
> toward the note head. In such circumstance as the above examples demonstrate
> it would be ideal that those beams would stack going down away from the note
> head, toward the bottom of the staff, exactly what is done in the handwritten
> copy.
>

> If anyone knows or finds a work-around to this, please share.
>

> Regards
>
> - F.M.

You could do:

{
  \stemUp
  g'8[
  \stemDown
  \once \override Stem.beaming = #'((0) . (-1 0))
  c''16
  \once \override Stem.beaming = #'((-1 0) . (0))
  d''
  e''8
  \stemUp
  c']
}

Though, lily warns (with or without the overrides):
warning: no viable initial configuration found: may not find good beam slope

And is absolutely correct, the output _is_ ugly.
So I agree with Andrew.

Cheers,
  Harm