Re: Corrected: Beaming in LilyPond

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Corrected: Beaming in LilyPond
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2018 19:05:59 +0200

Filip May'r <address@hidden> writes:

> Notwithstanding I think it would be better to find a different
> signature because it may send a wrong idea about the intent. Moreover,
> we are made in the image of God who is upright and just and never does
> harm,

"made in the image of God" is a notion from the Torah, as is the Great
Flood, the extermination of the Amelekites, the killing of people not
pronouncing "shiboleth" correctly and various other not quite harmless
happenings.

> and we should seek to reflect that image in us.

There is also the commandment to not take the name of the Lord in vain;
and technical discussions in a mailing list for a typesetting program
would seem like not warranting the kind of public displays of piety that
Jesus admonishes against in Matthews 6:

    5 And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are:
    for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners
    of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you,
    They have their reward. 6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into
    thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father
    which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall
    reward thee openly.

    7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for
    they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking. 8 Be
    not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things
    ye have need of, before ye ask him.

What would count more as a "vain repetition" than an automatically
appended signature?

I don't think that either LilyPond or Christianity (which for better or
worse is just one of many beliefs) have a lot to gain from dragging
religion into the discussions here since we reduce our common ground in
that manner without actually furthering either cause.

--
David Kastrup