Re: Key signatures in modes other than Ionian & Aeolian

From: Torsten Hämmerle
Subject: Re: Key signatures in modes other than Ionian & Aeolian
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2018 16:24:56 -0700 (MST)

Peter Crighton wrote
> I am transcribing a song in D Mixolydian
> [...]
> in this case it is a pop song

Hi Peter,

Even if my opinion may differ from the general opinion here, I think that in
popular music, one would use standard D major key signature.
Reason: Two sharps clearly show D major tonic and the characteristic mixo
tone C (flat seventh) stands out in the sheet music by the accidental used.

It's quite common for popular music to just use the minor/major key
signature matching the tonic and show notes that deviate from the standard
minor/major scale my explicitly using accidentals each time.

*Examples:*

"Riders on the Storm"
(in E Dorian) has E minor key signature and the characteristic Dorian sixth
C# stands out by using accidentals. Just think of Manzarek's famous bass
line.

"Norwegian Wood"
(in E Mixolydian) has E major key signature and the characteristic
Mixolydian seventh D is clearly marked by using a natural sign each time.

At least, that's the way professional ("official") publications handle it.

Classical music, however, this is different. In Jazz, I've seen both.

All the best,
Torsten