Frescobaldi external PDF viewer not updating

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Frescobaldi external PDF viewer not updating
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2018 17:55:30 +1000

HI Keiren,

I have unhijacked the thread with a new subject.

OK.  Mac up and running:

Mac OS 10.13.4
Frescobaldi 2.20.0
Lilypond 2.19.80
Skim 1.4.34

All works fine. I am unable to duplicate your problem. I do note that I have
explicitly turned on 'check for file changes' and 'reload automatically' in the
Sync tab of Skim preferences.

Preview seems erratic.

I am loading the named output file.

Speaking as UNIX programmer with 40 year plus experience, I would tend not to
rely on loading a temp file autogenerated, Who knows how this is implemented?
The tmp file may not be fully written out to disk by the time the PDF viewer
looks at it as this can be asynchronous and so on, and updates may be missed.
Writing this down I am aware this sounds like nonsense, but the fact is that
tmp files can have different semantics to disk files and you just don’t know
enough about how it all works. Sometimes tmp file systems are in RAM and this
can change things in subtle ways. Given this, it sounds dodgy to me to be
reading the temp file into a viewer. I know that Mac writes to /var/folders but
again I do not know enough about how these files are buffered to disk to be
prepared to be using these as an authoritative source for the PDF viewer. I
think this goes partly toward explaining the erratic behaviour you are seeing.
Restarting F obviously works because all is redone afresh. Then after a while
it will go bung again.

Andrew