Re: Frescobaldi external PDF viewer not updating

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Frescobaldi external PDF viewer not updating
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2018 08:57:55 -0400

Hi Andrew,

> Although this is referring to pdflatex, it directly references problems with
> Skim and file notifications in the Mac OS kernel.
> https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/36504/latexmk-pvc-option-breaks-when-compiling-beamer-class/36585#36585

Nice catch! Yes, that looks promising as a possible root of (or at least
related to) the issue I experience.

> Preview only updates sometimes after a compile - this is what I mean by
> erratic.

I noticed that, which is why I originally switched to Skim (which explicitly
allows updating). Even with the "once in a while stops updating" issue, Skim
still beats Preview as my main external PDF application when doing my
Lilypounding.

> Skim works for me, but there seems to be something related to large files. I
> am trying one line scores, but Kieren I would imagine you have very large
> orchestral scores. This could be part of the plot, with file writes we don't
> fully have a handle on.

Ah! Very astute point. My composing and engraving schedule recently has meant
that I have only been engraving small files (2-4 pages), and only working with
files for short periods of time (< 1 hour) — and, if memory serves, I’ve not
run into the problem lately. I will be tackling some of my bigger files again
starting next week, and will be working for much longer chunks of time (up to a
whole work day), and will keep my eyes on the behaviour.

Thanks!
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info