Re: Frescobaldi external PDF viewer not updating

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Frescobaldi external PDF viewer not updating
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2018 07:04:34 -0400

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for this. I think I may have miswritten.

> I know that Mac writes to /var/folders but again I do not know enough about
> how these files are buffered to disk to be prepared to be using these as an
> authoritative source for the PDF viewer. I think this goes partly toward
> explaining the erratic behaviour you are seeing.

I'm saying that the **NON-TEMP** file — sitting on the "regular" part of the
drive, right next to the saved Lilypond source file(s) — is the one that stops
updating in Skim [with the 'check for file changes' and 'reload automatically'
preferences checked]. The only reason I then go to the temp file is because the
updates on the **NON-TEMP** file stopped happening. I’m *not* using the temp
file as my "primary viewing file".

> I am unable to duplicate your problem.

As I perhaps didn’t explain well enough, there is an *indeterminate* period of
time that passes from the [re]starting of Frescobaldi to the time that the
non-temp output PDF file corresponding to a given Lilypond file stops updating.

Perhaps helpfully (?), if I'm compiling two or more Lilypond score files, they
don’t all suddenly stop updating their respective PDFs at the same time.

It’s a very unusual bug, in my opinion.

Thanks,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer