Re: Trouble with notation fonts when resizing

From: David Sumbler
Subject: Re: Trouble with notation fonts when resizing
Date: Sun, 13 May 2018 18:04:05 +0100

On Sun, 2018-05-13 at 05:32 -0700, Torsten Hämmerle wrote:
> David Sumbler wrote
> >
> > [...] whilst \abs-fontsize changes the size of the font, it doesn't
> > apparently alter its spacing.  Perhaps it should, because I can't
> > imagine
> > that anyone would ever find that particular characteristic very
> > useful.
>
> Hi David,
>
> Now I see what you mean and this shouldn't happen and I'd call it a
> bug.
>
> As usual, a minimal (compilable) example would have helped
> enormously.
> Here it is:
>
> %%%%%
> \version "2.19.81"
>
> \header {
>   title = \markup \abs-fontsize #20 "Absolute Font Size"
> }
>
> #(set-global-staff-size 18)
>  \book { { b'1 } }
>

> #(set-global-staff-size 14)
>  \book { { b'1 } }
>

> #(set-global-staff-size 26)
>  \book { { b'1 } }
> %%%%%
>

> <http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/t3887/abs-fontsize-proble
> m.png>
>
> \abs-fontsize tries to get all kinds of scaling information via
> ly:output-def-lookup, but apparently not enough for working correctly
> under
> these circumstances.
>
> All the best,
> Torsten
>
> All the best,
> Torsten

My apologies for not including my file (similar to yours above) which
illustrated the problem with \abs-fontsize.

Just to complete the circle, as it were, I have now discovered a
downside to using \magnifyStaff.  In the (hopefully) attached image,
you will see that the tenor clef sign in the 1st cello has an enormous
space after it.  I cannot produce a minimal example to illustrate this
problem, because weirdly the size of the space seems to depend on the
number of other staves on the page!  If I remove all the other staves,
the space is still a little big, but not nearly as much as this.  Every
such in-staff change of clef produces a similar result.

Changing back to set-global-staff-size has cured this problem.

Back to the drawing board now for my title pages etc.

David