Re: warning: no PostScript font name for font `/usr/local/share/fonts/10

From: Jonathan Chen
Subject: Re: warning: no PostScript font name for font `/usr/local/share/fonts/100dpi/ncenB24-ISO8859-1.pcf.gz'
Date: Fri, 18 May 2018 13:42:36 +1200

On 18 May 2018 at 12:04, Aaron Hill <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 2018-05-17 15:29, Carl Sorensen wrote:
>>
>> On 5/17/18, 3:51 PM, "Jonathan Chen" <address@hidden> wrote:
>>     I've just returned to using lilypond 2.18.2 after a break, and I now
>>     find if I compile any of my existing .ly files, I get a scree of
>>     errors, eg:
>>
>> What is your operating system?  How are you running lilypond?
>>
>> I find your sample file to work just find on my system.
>>
>> The error message indicates to me that somehow your font tree is
>> messed up.  I don't know why you would be asking for the font listed
>> in your warning message if you had a standard LilyPond install.
>

> To add to this:
>
> Near as I can tell, the default font for serif text is TeX Gyre Schola.  I
> suppose New Century Schoolbook (the font referenced in the subject line)
> could be a valid fallback font, but TeX Gyre Schola should be included in a
> valid LilyPond installation:

Isn't the Text Gyre Schola the default for 2.19+? My 2.18 installation
appears to be using Century Schoolbook.

Your comments did allow me focus my investigation. After a bit of
digging, it appears that lilypond 2.18 on FreeBSD isn't recognising
the CenturySchL-*.otf fonts in
/usr/local/share/lilypond/2.18.2/fonts/otf correctly. I worked around
this by copying the CenturySchL-*.otf files into ~/.fonts. This
workaround gets me up and running again. I will possibly investigate
the cause of the failure later.

The 2.19 version appears to use fontconfig, which I believe is a much
superior solution. Hopefully a new release will happen soon.

Thanks everyone!
--
Jonathan Chen <address@hidden>