Re: Combining full bar rests with omitted grobs in between

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Combining full bar rests with omitted grobs in between
Date: Fri, 18 May 2018 10:48:59 +0200

> Dear all,
> is there a way to combine the two full bar rests in one multimeasure
> rest in the following example?
>
> \version "2.19.81"
> \new Staff <<
>   \compressFullBarRests
>   {
>     s1
>     \once \omit Score.MetronomeMark
>     \tempo "test"
>   }
>   {
>     R1*2
>   }
>>>

> Use case: I have all tempo marks for the full score and parts in one
> variable, but I need to hide a couple of tempo marks in one of the
> parts (requested by the conductor).
>
> I tried the approaches mentioned in the thread
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2014-11/msg00267.html
> but they didn't work, probably because omitting the grob only makes it
> invisible and with null extent but does not delete it.
>
> Is there a solution?
> Is there a way to actually delete an omitted grob?
>
> Best wishes.
> Davide

Yes, there is, but the result is not what you want.
\once \override Score.MetronomeMark.before-line-breaking = #ly:grob-suicide!

The different length of s1 and R1*2 will always result into a splitted
MultiMeasureRest, afaik.

See:

\new Staff <<
  \compressFullBarRests
  { s1 }
  { R1*2 }

Same for { s1 s1 }, only { s1*2 } would work.

Cheers,
  Harm