Re: Combining full bar rests with omitted grobs in between

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Combining full bar rests with omitted grobs in between
Date: Sat, 19 May 2018 18:50:35 +0200

Davide Liessi <address@hidden> writes:

>> You'd need to work with tags and alternative passages.
>
>> Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:
>>> The different length of s1 and R1*2 will always result into a splitted
>>> MultiMeasureRest, afaik.
>
> Thanks for your answers.
>
> For the record, I solved my problem using tags to filter the \tempo
> marks and then applying \mergeSkips from
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2013-12/msg01085.html
> to merge the spacer rests and avoid splitting the multimeasure rests
> (in the original file I had spacer rests filling the full length of
> the piece).
>
> Indeed, I noticed that elements inside removed tags are not shown by
> \displayMusic (hence \mergeSkips can merge the spacer rests).
> At what point is tagged content removed?

When you call \remove/keepWithTags.  The music function returns the
cleaned music expression.  This is completely obvious and transparent
functionality, meaning that if you call \remove/keepWithTags inside of
\relative, you might get inconvenient octave differences due to the
removed sequences.

> What parts of LilyPond's code are responsible for that?

\remove/keepWithTags .  They are only called explicitly by the user so
far.  It's conceivable that we'll add command line options for such
effects and/or some default tags for midi/layout processing, but so far
nothing of the kind has been done yet.  And the midi/layout stuff would
actually be tricky since the obvious place for such processing is during
scorification, and at that time the output to be used is not yet fixed.
And we don't have similarly employed hooks during "bookification" so it
would seem a bit heavy-handed to introduce that kind of stuff there.

--
David Kastrup