Re: Adding a continuous drone to midi output

From: Karlin High
Subject: Re: Adding a continuous drone to midi output
Date: Tue, 22 May 2018 13:01:05 -0500

On 5/22/2018 11:47 AM, Sven Axelsson wrote:
However, I'm wondering if there is some way to add the continuous drone to the music automatically without having to actually write them in as separate voices? I need two separate drone voices sounding the same note continuously during the entire playback.

One option would be using a MIDI editor to add the drone tracks. SpeedyMIDI is what I would use for this.
<http://speedymidi.sourceforge.net/>
Add new track, get the mouse-keyboard, set the drone notes, and mash the spacebar until the duration's been recorded to desired length.

There might be a Scheme method, though. Things I've looked at here:

display-scheme-music
#(display (ly:music-length ...
\scaleDurations stuff
<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2017-10/msg00046.html>

I finally decided I was playing "sorcerer's apprentice" with those. But in the past, I've been able to provoke a correct answer by posting an incomplete or incorrect one. :)

% BEGIN LILYPOND CODE
\version "2.19.80"
% Pseudocode for generating continuous MIDI drone
% for instruments like bagpipes, hurdy-gurdy, etc

musicwithdrone = \repeat unfold 12 { c'4 e' g' c'' }

% Graphic output, no MIDI
\score {
  \musicwithdrone

  \layout { }
}

% MIDI output, no graphics
\score {
  <<
    \musicwithdrone
    % Somehow, find length of \musicwithdrone
    % and then play drone note for that duration
    % c'*scaledtomusic

  \midi { }
}
% END LILYPOND CODE