Re: question about cross-staff stems

From: foxfanfare
Subject: Re: question about cross-staff stems
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2018 08:43:42 -0700 (MST)

James Bailey-5 wrote
> Is it possible to get cross-staff stems to ignore a voice? I'd like to
> have the lowest voice here completely ignored for the cross-staff stems,
> alternatively, have the cross staff stems connected to the upper voice. As
> it is, the only way I can the stems to behave the way I want is to flip
> the direction of the stems on the lowest, which, given the ties and the
> spacing is not an ideal situation.

Hi James,

I'm not sure to understand what you are trying to achieve here. But I'd
personally would write your exemple like this:

\include "deutsch.ly"
\version "2.19.65"

\score {
        \new PianoStaff <<
                \new Staff = "RH" \relative c'' {
                        \voiceOne <c c'>4~ q8 q~ q4~ q8 q
                }
                \new Staff = "LH" \relative c' {
                        \clef bass
                        <<
                                \new Voice = "crossing" { \repeat unfold 2 {
                                  \once \override Beam.positions = #'(2 . 2)
                                  \change Staff = "LH" \voiceThree c,8
\change Staff = "RH" \voiceTwo <g' c e>8 <g c f> <g c a'> } }
                                \new Voice = "ties" { \voiceFour \repeat
unfold 2 { \stemDown c,4~ c8 r } }
                        >> \oneVoice
                }

        \layout { \context { \PianoStaff \consists #Span_stem_engraver } }
}

Hope this could help.