Re: question about cross-staff stems

From: james
Subject: Re: question about cross-staff stems
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2018 20:09:43 +0200

> On Jul 4, 2018, at 5:43 PM, foxfanfare <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> James Bailey-5 wrote
>> Is it possible to get cross-staff stems to ignore a voice? I'd like to
>> have the lowest voice here completely ignored for the cross-staff stems,
>> alternatively, have the cross staff stems connected to the upper voice. As
>> it is, the only way I can the stems to behave the way I want is to flip
>> the direction of the stems on the lowest, which, given the ties and the
>> spacing is not an ideal situation.
>
> Hi James,
>
> I'm not sure to understand what you are trying to achieve here. But I'd
> personally would write your exemple like this:
>
> \include "deutsch.ly"
> \version "2.19.65"
>
> \score {
>        \new PianoStaff <<
>                \new Staff = "RH" \relative c'' {
>                        \voiceOne <c c'>4~ q8 q~ q4~ q8 q
>                }
>                \new Staff = "LH" \relative c' {
>                        \clef bass
>                        <<
>                                \new Voice = "crossing" { \repeat unfold 2 {
>                                  \once \override Beam.positions = #'(2 . 2)
>                                  \change Staff = "LH" \voiceThree c,8
> \change Staff = "RH" \voiceTwo <g' c e>8 <g c f> <g c a'> } }
>                                \new Voice = "ties" { \voiceFour \repeat
> unfold 2 { \stemDown c,4~ c8 r } }
>>> \oneVoice
>                }
>>>
>        \layout { \context { \PianoStaff \consists #Span_stem_engraver } }
> }
>
> Hope this could help.
>

> --
> Sent from: http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/User-f3.html

Thank you,

What I'm looking for is something like this:
\include "deutsch.ly"
\version "2.19.65"

\score {
        \new PianoStaff <<
                \new Staff = "RH" \relative c'' { \voiceOne <c c'>4~ q8 q~ q4~
q8 q }
                \new Staff = "LH" \relative c' {
                        \clef bass
                        <<
                                \new Voice = "crossing" { \autoBeamOff
\crossStaff \repeat unfold 2 { \change Staff = "RH" \voiceTwo s8 <c e>8 <c f>
<c a'> } }
                                \new Voice = "notCrossing" { \autoBeamOff
\change Staff = "LH" \voiceTwo \repeat unfold 2 { c,8[ g'] g[ g] } }
                                \new Voice = "ties" { \voiceFour \repeat unfold
2 { \stemUp c,4~ \once \override NoteColumn.force-hshift = #-2.0 c8 r } }
                }

        \layout { \context { \PianoStaff \consists #Span_stem_engraver } }
}

But that's a lot of manual adjustment and essentially the entire piece has this
contour.

Thanks,

James