Re: tie direction !?

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: tie direction !?
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2018 12:33:28 +0200

> Simon Albrecht-2 wrote
>> The most sensible solution to me seems to be for Tie to use the
>> neutral-direction property and heed it in such cases, overriding the
>> direction if it is set.
>
> Using Harm's example, setting Tie.neutral-direction to #DOWN will just flip
> everything around.
> Then, the first tie is up and the second tie is down.
>
> All this only happens for opposite stem directions and tied notes on the
> middle stave line, everything is quite unpredictable and the slightest
> change in spacing etc. may flip a tie to any direction.
>
> Robert's code will react very sensitive to changes like
>    \override Tie.details.note-head-gap = …
> When just changing this from standard #0.2 to #0.20001, the first tie will
> change its direction.
>
> Perhaps some penalty calculations yield nearly identical results for
> different tie directions so that the slightest environmental change may
> result in a tie direction change.
>
> All the best,
> Torsten

I stumbled across it while transposing a flute-part for alto-flute.

While it's trivial to set tie-direction manually, I'd prefer not to do
so, because it may be wrong after some other transposing or in
polyphonic situations or using partombine and the like.
I already thought creating a function for setting tie-direction, _iff_
the notes are on the middle line, probably taking stem-direction into
account. It would give me more flexibility, though ofcourse the
considerations mentioned above are still valid.

Obviously it has something to do with the notes being on the
middle-line, so I tried the some inconsistent behaviour with notes on
other lines in order to get more info/insight. Without success so far

Most likely Torsten's guess is correct.
Thus I tried
\override Tie.details.horizontal-distance-penalty-factor = 50
which indeed gives consisten behaviout (if other details-properties
are unchanged), the tie doesn't look as nice as before, though.

Thanks,
  Harm